Tag Archives: Funding

Craighead County Salary Administration Policy and Job Classifications Recently Considered

Story by DDNS Reporter Mia Young

Members of the Craighead County Quorum Court meet.
Photo by DDNS Reporter Mia Young.

JONESBORO, Ark. – The Craighead County Quorum Court advanced two ordinances to their next readings to amend the county’s salary administration policy and job classifications in the County Judge’s Office during its meeting on April 13.

During old business, the court held the second reading of an ordinance amending the county’s salary administration policy to include cost-of-living increases. The ordinance proposes employees would be eligible for cost-of-living raises after one year of employment. Supervisors, however, would be able to approve the increases after 90 days based on performance. The policy would be guided by the Consumer Price Index, but not a specific rate.

The 13 justices also voted to untable a recommendation from the Job Evaluation and Salary Administration Policy committee involving the County Judge’s office, which Judge Marvin Day previously tabled. The ordinance will reclassify and restructure the Secretary Coordinator I position as an Administrative Coordinator I position.

“We’re not changing the budget. This is just going to change the position,” Day said. “If we do decide we want to change the budget, we will come to finance.”

Wendy French previously served as Administrative Coordinator I, in which she worked with elected officials and department leaders to help with daily operations and coordinate internal processes. However, officials appointed French as Craighead County Administrator in January 2026. Since leaving the position, Day said French held skills the Judge’s Office would like to mandate and look for.

The county presented the changes as part of its efforts to retain employees, recognize and support their work and improve the county as a whole. Day said if there was a possibility of hiring someone with the skills in place, he would come back and ask for a salary adjustment.

Once the court broke into committee meetings, Shannon Kee made a second attempt before the Public Service Committee to open a restaurant and obtain a liquor license after the committee rejected his previous application last year. Kee plans to open 141 Prime at Sterling Springs, 2761 County Road 766, near the Highway 141 intersection.

“Born and raised, I’m 53 years old and never had anything out there other than a gas station,” Kee said. “Nowadays, we don’t really have a gas station because all the gas stations are shut down.”

He said North Jonesboro has no restaurants and if he wants customers to choose to come to his restaurant and not just “drive right past,” they will expect a beer with their dinner. The committee, after hearing no additional public comments, voted 3-1 to advance the proposal to the full Quorum Court for a vote when it meets again on April 28.

During public comments from the full Quorum Court, Robin Martin raised the issue that a recent Freedom of Information Act request showed Day’s email was included in the list of people emailed when someone emails quorumcourtmembers@craigheadcounty.org. However, Day’s name did not appear anywhere on the list of email recipients.

“That seems a little deceptive,” Martin said.

Martin also said there is no way for citizens to email Quorum Court members individually, as the only email address provided is the group email. Day said it would be possible for him to be removed. But the role was already set up that way when he took office, and he would not commit to anything during the meeting.

-30-

Jonesboro Mayor Gives State of City, Hears Criticism over City Stars

Story by DDNS Reporter Mia Young

JONESBORO, Ark.- Mayor Harold Copenhaver gave his sixth State of the City address to the Jonesboro City Council on Tuesday evening, featuring major growth in the economy, finances and infrastructure, lower crime rates, and a bright future for the city.

Amid the city’s acquisition of CityStars’ finances, Copenhaver highlighted the 15 consecutive audits. He said Jonesboro is thriving and, at the end of 2025, had $28.1 million in reserves and $15 million in capital improvements.

He mentioned the growth in nearly every aspect of the city, including the 150 businesses that opened last year, 10% more calls firefighters responded to, and numerous projects ready to start. Not only projects “built for wheels,” but for pedestrians. Funds awarded to Jonesboro through the Transportation Alternatives Program will go toward new pedestrian infrastructure on the Marion Berry overpass. This will not only make the overpass safer and more walkable but will also help connect Arkansas State to the rest of Jonesboro.

“Jonesboro’s future is bright, but we’d better prepare for it now,” Copenhaver said.

He highlighted that even with the large population growth over the last decade, statistics recently released by the FBI show that violent crime is the lowest it has been in at least a decade.

More than 100,000calls were answered by dispatchers through the city’s emergency medical dispatch program. Seven calls helped guide people through CPR, and one even helped deliver a baby. Copenhaver also noted that 63% of firefighters’ and 52% of police officers’ salaries have increased.

The city also won three Trendsetter awards for Jonesboro connecting efforts, emergency medical dispatch, and the city park ranger program, and was also named Volunteer City of the Year. Copenhaver knew the council was not the only one responsible for helping win these awards; the public was a big help. He called upon citizens to make an effort to get involved and help craft a blueprint for a better city.

“But all those numbers can add up to an overall total of one. One goal, one responsibility to make Jonesboro the best city,” Copenhaver said to close his address. 

After the State of the City address, business continued as usual. A few Council members raised additional concerns regarding the handling of CityStars. Questions were raised regarding Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests, missing paperwork and invoices for individuals working the tournaments, and making sure all aspects of taking over CityStars’ finances were done legally.

Efforts are underway to move toward partial- or fully cashless events in youth sports. IT is making strides to handle this issue. The first phase of this process is to assess the cost of the required infrastructure and ensure that locations have the Wi-Fi capabilities needed to run the program.

Matt Daniel, former executive director of the Arkansas Revolution Soccer Club, spoke during public comment. He stated during the Feb. 3 City Council meeting, Copenhaver directly named him and incorrectly quoted both his CityStars resignation letter, which did not mention anyone by name, and his proposal. Daniel went on to correct Copenhaver and state what he actually said in his letter. He stated the city has maintained that CityStars operated independently, but contracts, payroll involvement, event insurance filings, and more “show a far more entangled relationship,” and people deserve to know the truth.

“Mayor Copenhaver, I have lost all confidence in your leadership for our city,” Daniel said, after stating the aforementioned documents were not any type of confidential record but documents he was a part of.

Daniel closed his public comment, giving a call to action to the council, saying, “If you have confidence in this administration, say so. If you do not, say so. Jonesboro deserves clarity.”

-30-